Thursday, May 16, 2019

The 50 year debate - Comment No. 2 on a colleague


In this unit, I learned more about Roe v Wade, a case that was taken to the court in 1971 and even though this happened almost 50 years ago abortion is still a very controversial topic. We all have our own points of view and opinion on things and I believe that as a society we should all be more open-minded and be willing to listen to the opposing side. There are people who say to be open minded but as soon as you talk against or different to what they believe they will say you are insane, don’t know what you’re talking about, you’re wrong, and walk away or not want to hear the conversation anymore. I have also learned that there are people at both ends who take things to the extreme. For example; extremely to the right or extremely to the left, and being like that, I believe, is not a way to be balanced.

I was browsing through the different blogs to see who’s post I would comment on and I came across “Originally Commentary on Abortion” by Dawson Walton. So, I chose to comment on this blog because only a few days ago I was watching some YouTube videos and came across a type of interview/movie titled “7 Reasons” and it touches on the subject of abortion. I find it very interesting and educational when I watch a debate or look at both sides of a topic/story. I feel doing this broadens my perspective. It makes me see more rather than setting my mind to just one thing as if I was in one small box.

In his blog, Mr. Walton writes that “It shouldn’t be up to lawmakers to decide whether a woman can abort…” And to this statement, I say that lawmakers have made many decisions that don’t go according to what the popular vote is. I feel as if many decisions are taken without asking the public. In class this semester we learned how there are different topics that concern the U.S.A. and a great majority of the public feel strongly one way yet when laws get passed it goes the opposite way. Why does this happen? Is the question I always wonder about.

Mr. Walton states that “…a teenager is most likely unfit to take care of child.” And I agree 50/50 on that. Because I have seen and know of many moms who got pregnant in their teens and fought through it and became really good moms and other moms who became pregnant in their teens and gave up the responsibility to someone else. So in that, I believe a better education system should be put in place to avoid teens to become pregnant.

Overall I give deep thought to what Mr. Walton wrote about and thank him for sharing this with all of us.

No comments: